Monday 7 November 2016

Rosie Toe's marketing placement with Grohe

In this guest post Royal Holloway student, Rosie Toe, talks about her placement position at Grohe. Rosie is currently on the 4 year BSc Management with Marketing (Year in Business). She is working as a Marketing placement student for Grohe, the company which makes luxury fittings for bathrooms and kitchens.





 How did you find the application process?

The application process was fairly straightforward. The Year in Business Programme Officer at Royal Holloway made me aware of the placement through the YIB emails that she sent. I then applied directly to the company via email with a CV and cover letter and was later invited for interview.

The interview took place with the UK HR advisor and the Marketing Director; this was a nerve-wracking experience however it obviously went well as I was later offered the job! I most regret not preparing for the interview as well as I could have done as I was asked questions about the company that I was unprepared to answer.


What recommendations would you make to those Year in Business students starting in their 1st year at Royal Holloway and their 2nd year?

If I could give any advice it would be to take the time to create good applications and don’t rush them. I would also urge people to apply for roles in companies that they might not have heard of before as these can often offer great experiences. It is also great experience to go for any interviews or assessment days that you have been offered because even if you don’t think you are interested in the company/role you could gain great experience and even end up enjoying it!


What is your job title and what projects will you be working on?

I am Marketing Executive and I have had the chance to work on a variety of projects since I have started my placement year. I am currently working on a large event in London, which my company is a founding partner of. The event is held over two days at the Business Design Centre and I have had the chance to work on a variety of tasks associated with this event such as creating furniture plans for the VIP lounge.


During my time on placement I will be focusing on the analysis of our digital marketing strategies. I will look at how successful our digital marketing campaigns have been through online analysis tools and I will explore options to improve them. Amongst other things, I will be looking at direct mail marketing (such as online newsletters) and ensuring that our digital marketing strategies are effective.


How have your first few weeks/ months been on your placement?

My first few weeks on placement have been a mixture of emotions, however I am enjoying my experience so far and I am looking forward to seeing what the next few months have to offer for me. I have learnt so much already and I hope that the YIB leaves a positive impression on me and gives me a better idea of the career that I would like to pursue in the future.


What has been the best thing so far about your placement?

The best thing about my placement so far is also the thing that is worst about it and this is the great amount of responsibility that I have been given from the start. It is great to have control over important tasks and to see my work once it’s completed however it has also taken me out of my comfort zone and made me push myself.


What else would you like to say about the Year in Business programme at Royal Holloway?

I think that the YIB programme is a great chance to explore the options that are available to you, and if nothing else help you to decide what you definitely don’t want to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.