Helena Wilkin, a Royal Holloway 2015 Graduate talked about her one week work experience of Shadowing a Female Leader at PWC at the end of her 2nd year at University. The placement was in Audit and she shadowed all aspects of work.Interestingly the process to secure a place on the Shadowing scheme was almost like applying for a graduate role, with online application, psychometric testing, telephone interview and assessment centre. However at the end of the week and after a final interview, Helena was offered a full time role to be commenced when she graduated - what a good way to go into the final year!
Tarun Hariharan, a final year Royal Holloway Year in Business student impressed the audience with his talk about his placement year with Nomura Structured Finance in Mumbai and the responsibility he was given. During part of his placement year he covered the maternity leave of an Associate at Nomura
You can read more here http://yearinbusiness.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/taruns-placement-year-at-nomura.html
or watch Tarun's video about the tips that he offers Year in Business students:
Some of the main tips for students making applications for internships/ placements included:
- Do your research : short list jobs and companies that you are interested in and consider what you actually want to do.
- Be prepared when going into interviews: use STAR examples; prepare questions to ask; do your research about the company; dress appropriately; practice tests online; share examples of previous work experience.
- Make use of Royal Holloway resources to help you: the Careers service offer practice interviews; CV checking; online psychometric practice tests; regular programme of training events including assessment centres.
- Build your network ; use Linkedin.
- Social media - always remember your digital footprint and think before you post : the companies you apply for may see things you don't want them to.
The evening concluded with a highly informative and entertaining talk by Will Conder. Many people may not have heard of Affiliate Window, but they will have heard of many of the companies Affiliate work with. These include : Vodafone, Tesco, John Lewis, Boots, Expedia, Hitlon, PCWorld, Sports Direct, Asos, O2, BT, Dorothy Perkins, Post Office, Boden, lastminute.com and so many more. Affiliate Window offer support to find clients an online marketing strategy that works for them and the chance to monetise their websites. It also sounded like a young and dynamic company in which to do a placement year.